Re: [TenTec] Wet ladderline

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Wet ladderline
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2013 23:24:26 -0700
On 8/13/2013 7:14 PM, Joel Hallas wrote:
Good observations, and I have also seen European HF broadcast curtain arrays
using our friends, the open wire line. It works as well today as it did in
1930.

We saw lots of coaxial open wire line when our U of Cincy EE class of 1964 toured the Crosley-operated VOA facility in Mason, OH, feeding a lovely field of rhombics and three Sterba Curtains. It was a great lab tour for the Transmission Lines course we had just finished.

Nearly 50 years later, i saw more of it when I toured historical shore stations along the Pacific Coast with K3NA and W3DQ. Relatively small gauge in the coast RX antenna farm, bigger stuff in the TX antenna farm.

http://www.radiomarine.org/gallery/show?keyword=ksmstation

A few years ago, I drove by the Delano, CA VOA station enroute to Las Vegas. The antenna farm is mostly still there, but I understand that equipment from the transmitter building has been moved to other sites. I was hoping that a tour might be arranged for attendees of the Visalia DX convention, but so far that has not been possible.

73, Jim K9YC