[TenTec] My New Orion II . . .

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] My New Orion II . . .
From: Richards <jrichards@k8jhr.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Aug 2013 18:51:50 -0400
Greetings Ten-Tec mavens and devotees:

I bought an Orion II and it arrived this weekend. I am nearly finished remodeling the desk shelves and risers to accommodate its substantially larger footprint. My young bride helped me build new shelves on the right side on an angle and we both think it will be a huge ergonomic and visual improvement.

I wonder:

        a)      Is there any consensus as to which
                firmware version I should update
                to...   and if not, is there any
                concise list of which firmware
                versions are favored, understanding
                that some will work better in some
                versions than others, but that is
                sometimes good to know.

                Wild Idea No. 29873:

                Perhaps we could pool all comments on
                the different versions, and make a chart
                indicating which features are improved,
                and which are not, in each of the
                different versions.  That might make it
                easy to determine which versions are good
                for what purposes, and maybe make it easy
                to adopt different personalities, like one
                version may be better for digital modes,
                and another for SSB, because the NR and
                notch or the like might work better for
                in one version, than another.

                Or maybe this would be too confusing and
                subject to intractable debate with no
                consensus...  after all it IS a wild
                asked idea. . .

        b)      Are there any quirks or foibles I might
                want to pay attention to... such as you
                cannot do X, if you set Y.   I seem to
                recall some useful feature was adversely
                affected when I engaged the spectrum scope.
                Like who knew ???

        c)   Do you guys have any preferred AGC settings
                that might be better than the default
                settings?   I primarily work SSB, but I
                will be moving to CW soon - I AM finally
                making some progress and practicing more
                regularly lately...

        d)   Are there any special notes, tips, or considerations
                that apply to this rig that might not apply
                to my other TT rigs, including the Omni VII
                and Jupiter?   I also  own the TT Centurion.

So... any help would be hugely appreciated. I don't mind reading, so if there is a previous thread on a topic, you might just identify the issue and point me in the right direction, and I will do the homework. Just knowing what to look for can often be enough help.

Happy trails.