Re: [TenTec] TT Eagle mic equalization

To: rmcgraw@blomand.net, Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] TT Eagle mic equalization
From: Richards <jrichards@k8jhr.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2013 15:45:27 -0400
I would follow Bob's procedure, and do it for each microphone you have, especially using the mic you use on the other rig that pleases you.

Also, I like to make recordings with each of my microphones on a computer sound recorder application. I play with each microphone at different distances from the mouth, and at different input volumes, to get a better idea of how each mic works (in general) and I find that sometimes I need to treat different microphones differently - some like to close talked - others not as close - and still others... OK you get the drift. Each microphone seems to have its own sweet spot of distance, speaking volume, speaking angle (whether straight on axis or slightly off axis), etc. Each mic will have its own point at which it over modulates - even at at regular speaking volume - and gets a tad distorted. Each will have a different range for proximity effect (i.e., it gets more bass as you get closer, and gets more thin and treble as you get farther away), and I like to know about each mic before I hook it to the radio.

That is how I learn each microphone's general characteristics, and then I try to apply that insight as I use the microphone on the rig - i.e., some like it close, some farther, and all with more or less mic input gain.

In this way, you may get better results with different settings. Again, nothing here contradicts Bob's procedure. Bob is a true audio professional, while I am an advanced hobbyist - having been a field tester and review commenter for microphones for the speech recognition field. You learn a lot just playing with several hundred different types of microphone over a span of 15 years !

ALSO - I observe that each radio has a slightly different output sound when working with the MON-itor function. The Omni VII is very clear, the Jupiter is just OK, and my Orion II is muddy and quiet - and the sound on the front headphone jack differs from the sound on the rear speaker jack, and both are different yet from the sound on the LINE-OUT jack. Go figure... So it may be more clear than you know, because the audio chain is different on each rig, and even different on different places on the rig.

Thus it may be better than you think.

Just MY take.