Re: [TenTec] What is Tentec Doing Today?

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] What is Tentec Doing Today?
From: Richard Tschur <richard.tschur@schieb.net>
Date: Sat, 12 Oct 2013 19:53:15 +1100
On 12/10/13 18:46, Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP wrote:
.....When I purchased my rig, I understood firmware "could" be updated, not
that it "would" be updated, and that new features "could" be added in the
future, not that they "would" be.  .....

James has nailed it!

Anyone who purchased a radio believing in more than that simply did not
think things through.
No company on the planet can go on enhancing a product forever (for free)
and stay in business.

Of course bug fixes are the exception.  And so is code to achieve specific
features which were promised with the rig when you bought it.

If in future research, code is developed which can easily be applied to
older products, then it makes sense for them to release it but you can't
expect them to develop additional features for free for a product for which
there is no revenue stream.

As someone working for a company manufacturing and selling products into the
ham radio market, I can assure you it's tough enough to stay in business
just 'selling' products into that market.  There is no way to stay in
business developing stuff for free.  In fact we, like every other company I
know of in this market, are focusing on other markets for making money, just
so we can stay in business in the ham radio market.

73
Rick, DJ0IP

Hi everyone, I fully agree with you Rick. I don't know if any of the other companies gives you the same support for an item that is no longer in production, especially the Orion, which is out of production for quite some years now. So I'm very happy the way it is and I was very surprised, when I heard about a new software for my 565. I'm sure the Jap companies give you the same support like TT does(being sarcastic here!!), especially having the service manager being involved here on the yahoo groups, listening to what people have to say. I'm a very happy Ten Tec owner of 12 or so, after being sick of a noisy, hissy sounding receiver (talking about Yaesu) and other issues with Japanese radio's! Just my 2 cents worth. Ten Tec, please keep doing what you are doing, as I'm sure, most of us here are happy the way it is! I'm very confident, that the new Orion 3 or whatever it will be called, will be another highend radio and I look really forward to it.
All the best to TenTec and all here on the forum!
Richard VK3KVK/DK3KVK