Re: [TenTec] Antenna is up, but the coupler doesn't like 160 meters

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Antenna is up, but the coupler doesn't like 160 meters
From: Richards <jrichards@k8jhr.com>
Date: Sat, 12 Oct 2013 13:51:54 -0400
What is nearby that could be affecting the antenna?

My aluminum dipoles often exhibit strange, wild swings with a change in position in the yard. Something nearby may be coupling and affecting it. And sometimes these things work in reverse, and don't match reasonable expectations. Some of my dipoles showed lower, and some higher, SWR after raising them 15 feet higher - I expected the changes to be consistent (in the same direction) in such similar cases.

Unfortunately, you may not be able to discern what it is, and (worse) may not be able to alter the situation.

(My personal worst fear is I will someday discover a huge magnetic "load stone" buried in my back yard, and only then discover why it seems like an episode of the Twilight Zone back there...)

Good luck, OM.