Re: [TenTec] 318 and qsk-5

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] 318 and qsk-5
From: "Bob McGraw - K4TAX" <RMcGraw@Blomand.net>
Date: Sat, 7 Dec 2013 07:27:53 -0600
To touch on the point, unless the Thunderbolt has been modified, there is no switching or relays inside the amp. The input connector goes direct to the input selector switch which then goes to the input network and then the grids of the 4-400 tubes. The output of the Pi network is connected direct to the output coax connector. At the right rear of the amp is a 4 pin connector. The pins are ground, operate bias, standby bias and grid. To switch from standby to operate the correct bias voltage much be switched to the grid terminal. The VR regulators are for the screen voltage and the bias voltage.

To configure the amp for QSK, one will need to provide a means to switch RF at the input and output of the amp and a means to simultaneously switch the bias from standby to operate. I am not aware of any commercial product that will accomplish this task. Thus expect to "roll your own" switching system.

Operating in Class AB2 mode, the input circuit is a tuned input and thus the drive power for rated output is in the order of 2 watts. In the LINEAR mode the input is swamped by a big resistor and one can expect required drive to be about 30 watts or so.

The Johnson Thunderbolt was designed and sold in the 1960's and was used for SSB and AM. I don't recall we even knew what QSK was during that time period. Later Johnson came out with an "electronic" T/R switch. These were found to be mostly monster TVI generators as the switching tube was driven into a gross area of non linearity.

Although this amp is a very well built amp and will run for days in a key-down mode, they weight in at some 135 lbs. The HV transformer in a full wave CT configuration, the swinging filter choke and the low voltage transformer and filter choke adds some serious iron to this amp. Power output is in the area of 600 to 750 watts. Remember, this amp was designed when the "legal limit" was 1 KW DC input. The meter scale is so calibrated as well.

I just completed a re-furbish job on one of these. If they are used as designed, they will produce some of the cleanest RF of any amp on the market today. They are great and one won't need to worry about the desk moving around when sending aggressive CW.

73
Bob, K4TAX

----- Original Message ----- From: "Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP" <Rick@DJ0IP.de>