Re: [TenTec] inverse question re amp QSK keying

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] inverse question re amp QSK keying
From: Ken Brown <ken.d.brown@hawaiiantel.net>
Date: Sat, 04 Jan 2014 08:16:45 -1000
The owners manual for my Omni VI shows interconnection diagrams for both Ten-Tec amplifiers with QSK keying loops, and for other amplifiers. I am pretty sure that the owners manuals for my Titan and Hercules II also have interconnection diagrams showing how to hook them up to Ten-Tec transceivers with QSK loops, and other transceivers without. Any combination can be made to work. Sometimes an intermediate relay or other isolating device such as an opto-coupler may be needed to prevent a high voltage keying input on the amplifier from blowing out solid state devices in the transceiver. It may be necessary to use some sort of level converter of logic inverter to make it work. There is always a way. The owners operating manual of almost every piece of equipment has the information needed to figure it out. If it is not in the owners manual, then it is in the service manual. If it is not spelled out in words, a careful look at the schematics should reveal what is needed. Of course in many cases the QSK will not be as good as it could be with a T-T radio working with a T-T amplifier.

There are really not that many possible combinations. The keying control inputs of various amplifiers has only a few variations. For example; pull a voltage to ground to key it, or provide a voltage to key it. The voltages, polarities, AC or DC and the current requirements can vary widely. The manual for the equipment, or the schematic will tell you what it takes.

For me, figuring this out and finding or designing an interface that works is what amateur radio is about. Have fun.

DE N6KB
I just read in digest form the stream of emails concerning the use of
non-Tentec
amps with a Corsair or OmniV or OmniVI radio. I am curious to know why the
Tentec QSK loop (ala OmniVI...) fails with non-Tentec amps..

But that is a question for another time. This post is regarding an inverse
situation. Do Tentec QSK amps work appropriately with a non-Tentec but QSK
radio?