Re: [TenTec] Headset Reccomendation

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Headset Reccomendation
From: Richards <jrichards@k8jhr.com>
Date: Sat, 04 Jan 2014 15:00:34 -0500

On 1/4/2014 2:00 PM, Barry N1EU wrote:
These guys sell an add-on boom mic to convert headphones to a headset.
  I'm using one now and it works quite well.  It requires +Bias
(electret mic), but that's generally not a problem with Ten-Tec rigs

That looks like a good solution. Not all that expensive, considering all its features. I am a bit leery about the guy whispering on the video... cannot imagine why he felt he needed to talk like a golf announcer on the final shot... but nicely done video to showcase the product. I like the attachment system. Interesting product and they did not get greedy (UN-like the headset Joel Halls reviewed last month... way too much money for consumer grade goods - I could tell you a bit about its construction, as it is used in many consumer products.)"

Yes, the ModMic looks like it should be on a short list of options.

I have used little condenser boom microphones purchased on eBay for a mere $1, but it requires adding a jack to the headphone case or inventing your own cable attachment method. I will put it up against pretty much any gaming headset mic, and even the famous HEIL PR20...sound samples available on request, See here:

http://tinyurl.com/jwc6294

http://tinyurl.com/k7bm5e5

http://tinyurl.com/ohahnz7

There are others, just search for them. Excellent audio as these little electret capsules are really cheap to make and sound good on the radios.

I think I will order the one Barry uses... looks interesting, well made and has the advantage of providing its own attachment system that does not alter the earphone receiver cup. Around $30 for a good solution seems within reach.

Thanks for the uptake, Barry.