Re: [TenTec] Power supply types

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Power supply types
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2014 10:57:20 -0800
On 1/20/2014 11:54 PM, Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP wrote:
What is the probability of us actually getting ANYTHING these days that is
properly-designed, and engineered ?

In an earlier post, I mentioned that I have several switching power supplies that are quiet. I'll be a bit more specific. One is a Power Werx unit designed to run a 100W transceiver. I bought it several years ago for exactly the application that Ken Brown discussed -- to carry on an airplane to PJ4 for a contest. Another is the wall wart that came with a Tecsun PL660 receiver. Another is a 100A industrial unit that a friend bought to run my Herc II that I loaned him for a DX trip, and which he gave me when he returned the amp. I have at least one other wall wart switcher in my collection that is pretty quiet.

The problem with most switching power supplies is that they generate high frequency square waves internally, which are then rectified to produce DC, and are built as cheaply as possible with no thought to RF trash.

Along these lines, I recently added a small solar system to run my shack, and had to investigate charge regulators and DC-AC inverters. I found many products that were noisy, and a few that were not. A smart buyer of ANY product does his/her homework BEFORE buying.

I continue to be amused by those who post to a reflector that they just bought xxx product, and ask what others think of it. What are they looking for besides ego gratification?

73, Jim K9YC