Re: [TenTec] 422 Centurion blowing fuses...

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] 422 Centurion blowing fuses...
From: "Bry Carling" <bcarling@cfl.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2014 14:08:40 -0500
Thanks - I really appreciate the sage advice from you guys... it's a pity that
the primary fuses
and inrush circuit didn't properly protect the transformer, but to be fair it
is an old one. Serial
number is 11A10162. I wonder what year that signifies... I did notice that the
core looks a bit
stained or maybe rusty?

This amp only lasted for a few weeks after buying it used.  You can be sure I
will add a fuse
in the secondary after I repair it, and take a few other steps to better
protect it. It seems
obvious that these transformers from TenTec are being run to their absolute
limit in the
Centurion and should probably be derated a minimum of 10% in the future at this
station. I
will not be running at more than about 800-900 watts output after this bad
experience. I think
I will go the rewind route since the guys rewinding them has a great
reputation, and will
probably create something better insulated and more reliable than the original.

I probably shouild have spent more and bought a new amp to begin with, but it's
difficult to
spend the tens of thousands on ham gear that some guys are able to do...

Again many thanks to each person who shared comments and ideas.

Brian AF4K