Re: [TenTec] Care and Feeding of Centurions

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Care and Feeding of Centurions
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sun, 02 Feb 2014 12:31:40 -0800
On 2/2/2014 12:03 PM, Bob McGraw - K4TAX wrote:
Proper tuning and loading and proper drive is the key to success for long amp and tube life.

And also the key to having a cleaner signal. An amp that is over driven (using AGC to control the drive power) or that is not well tuned will generate lots of splatter, clicks, and other trash.

I don't know about the 3-500Zs used in the Centurion, but the key to long life for the ceramic triodes used in the Titan is to keep the grid current below its limits at all times. My objective is to keep the grid current below half it's rated value, and my tubes last a LONG time. Grid current is minimized when the amp is well tuned and not overdriven.

73, Jim K9YC