Re: [TenTec] Corsair II noise blanker

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Corsair II noise blanker
From: "Bob McGraw - K4TAX" <RMcGraw@Blomand.net>
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2014 20:11:18 -0500
Not really. Or I would hope not. To some extent, SSB voice can be viewed as short pulses at random intervals and CW is very long pulses at long to moderate intervals.

When one examines noise we find that atmospheric noise is usually a very broad pulse at rather long intervals. We find ignition noise a broad pulse at rather long intervals by comparison. And we find line noise to be very short pulses at fast intervals. Electric fence pulses are short pulses but at long intervals.

One must look at the length of the pulse and the rate of the pulse occurrence. For AC line noise the pulse is usually 180 times per second and is very repetitive in time. While atmospheric noise is usually pulses of 1 to 2 sec in length but only at 5 to 15 second intervals. Electric fence pulses are usually 200 to 400 milliseconds in length but occur every 1 or 2 seconds.

The advantage to hardware noise blankers is they basically are a stand a lone process while those embedded in software rely on the processor to recognize the noise and then it has to look up the noise table and then take some action based on the noise that best fits. In general software embedded noise blankers work best on things that are slow by comparison or things that don't change such as line noise. It takes a totally different system to attack line noise. However the easy part of line noise is the frequency is known and the repetition rate is known.

The Noise Blanker objective is to mute the receiver to some degree of completion and at precicely the correct time but no so long as to punch a hole in the audio.

Confused?   I am.

73
Bob, K4TAX

----- Original Message ----- From: "Richards" <jrichards@k8jhr.com>