Re: [TenTec] Any update on a replacement for the Orion II? - COM Ports

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>, 'K8JHR' <jrichards@k8jhr.com>, Wes Attaway N5WA <wesattaway@bellsouth.net>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Any update on a replacement for the Orion II? - COM Ports
From: "R. Eric Sluder-W9WLW" <resluder@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2014 11:13:41 -0700 (PDT)
USB's were very tricky to deal with at first (version 1.0) and it scared a lot
of programmers off from wanting to deal with them for simple comm routines.  I
believe that fear has carried forward for quite some time and is slowly fading
away since the OS's like Windows now assign a virtual comm port number (that
wasn't the case a long time ago).

As we all know once a trend begins, it takes a long time for a new one to
start.  In the meantime we have to add operating cost to our stations in that
we have to buy USB/RS232 converters.

Just my view and recollection.

-Eric
W9WLW