Re: [TenTec] Any update on a replacement for the Orion II?

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Any update on a replacement for the Orion II?
From: "Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP" <Rick@DJ0IP.de>
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2014 09:44:14 +0200
James, you group is what?  20 guys?
You've told me about the problems you had trying to get them to implement
some of your ideals (which were good ideals).

My club has 400 members.
You don't easily get them to agree on anything.
The problem with implementing standards is in getting people to agree.

Take any group of any size; my bet is, 50% of the OM would not use a Ten-Tec
of any kind.
If you've used JA rigs for 20 years, you may not like the ergonomics of a
Ten-Tec radio.

Tt's not just the interfacing.
It is also the ergonomics of the rig.

 A few of the boys here in this online group (contesting.com group), all
Ten-Tec fans, have tried the Eagle, and not liked it.  The Eagle is not for
everybody.

The way Ten-Tec handled the software menu adjustment on the Eagle is unique
and IMO very good.
But people who never read the manual or never used one, can't just sit down
at the Eagle and feel comfortable with it.

Changing to a new logging software after 10 years is not an easy task.
At some of our stations, we have 12 rigs on the air at the same time.
They are networked together, use an instant messaging system between the
operating positions, and have lock-outs to prevent two rigs from
transmitting on the same band at the same time.  It took a long time to get
all of this working.
NOBODY is going to change their logging software and go through all of that
integration work again, just to be able to use the EAGLE.

THE EAGLE IS GOOD, BUT IT AIN'T THAT GOOD!  ;-)

73 - Rick, DJ0IP
(Nr. Frankfurt am Main)