Re: [TenTec] Any update on a replacement for the Orion II?

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Any update on a replacement for the Orion II?
From: "Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP" <Rick@DJ0IP.de>
Date: Sun, 6 Apr 2014 22:35:33 +0200
James, there are 3 things that prevent the Eagle from ever becoming any
contest club's (or dx-pedition's) radio of choice:
1): No Band Data available on the back panel to drive external amplifiers,
BPFs, or antenna switches.
2): No Band Stacking Register
3): No proper support from OmniRig

I don't know if Ten-Tec could easily address #1 and 2 or not.  Perhaps.
#3 is a show stopper on its own.

OmniRig is basically a middleware.
It sits between the application and the rig and takes commands from the
application and passes them on to the radio using the radio's own command
language.

You might also consider OmniRig as an API.
It presents a common interface to any open or 3rd party applications,
enabling that application to send generic radio control commands to the
application which with the help of OmniRig are passed on in radio-specific
commands to whatever radio is selected.

The problem is, the ORION-2 driver of OmniRig is missing a couple of
specific commands which enable it to operate seamlessly with an Eagle.  This
has NOTHING to do with the fact that the Eagle uses a USB2 I/F to the
computer.
However, when I asked the author of OmniRig to write a driver specifically
for the Eagle, he refused to do so and the reason "HE" gave was that it has
a USB port instead of a serial port.  I know this is bull shit, but that's
what he said!
He recommended I write my own driver.
I tried.
I downloaded the OR-2 driver, then added some additional commands which I
thought would fix the problems.
My driver failed miserably.  I'm a dud when it comes to writing software.
Guess I have 3 left hands.

Shortly after CQWW CW last year I spoke with Carl and he suggested a way
that I could use his N4PY software (which I use already for 10 years, but
not in contests) and couple it together with my WinTest Contest Software
(which uses OmniRig) and that it would work.

I trust Carl and am confident it will work and I fully intend to try that
later this year.
But I am just as confident I would never convince any contest team or
DX-pedition team on the planet to deploy such a complex implementation, just
so they could use an Eagle.

73 - Rick, DJ0IP
(Nr. Frankfurt am Main)