Re: [TenTec] New Jupiter on its Way _ A Few Questions

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] New Jupiter on its Way _ A Few Questions
From: K8JHR <jrichards@k8jhr.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2014 15:52:32 -0400
LEE -- AS A LONG TIME RECEIVE LOOP USER... (I have used others besides the Wellbrook and DX-E antennas I mentioned previously, but I don't recommend the others at all) I want to be very clear about one thing:

        YOU ARE ALWAYS BETTER OFF WITH AN ANTENNA
        LOCATED OUTSIDE THAN IN.

The "magnetic" loops are 'quieter" but that is a relative term. Unfortunately, they are NOT IMMUNE to EMI/RFI and the rest of the electrical hash one encounters in the modern domestic environment. There are no free lunches... darn it, cause I LIKE to eat... and "better" or "quieter" does necessarily mean you will be out of the wood on YOUR particular noise problem.

My Wellbrook loop is down now ... I took it down last summer, as it was too close to the transmit antennas to suit me. Maybe I will mail it to you to try for a while and see for yourself if it helps you situation. It worked well for me, but maybe it won't cut it in your location. Antennas just seem to work that way, I guess. You wanna try it? All you need is coax line and a way to hang a big circle of wire... any traction?