Re: [TenTec] Omni VI mystery

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Omni VI mystery
From: Jim Allen <jim.allen@longhornband.net>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2014 18:05:33 -0500
I agree about the radio, which I like very much.  It has a clean signal,
does a good job receiving, is relatively easy operationally, arguably the
best CW transceiver I know of (although that is somewhat limited).  This
one is 20 years old.

I would never have thought I would be rid of the Drake C-line I once had,
and sometimes wish I still had, but time moves on, interests change,  parts
availability changes.  The day has already come that TenTec claims it can
no longer get some parts for some models.  I bet chasing down tubes for the
C-line can be real exciting, and there is no factory to send it to now.

When my brother and I were in high school, we sometimes were invited to
operate from an old timer's shack, Collins S Line and amp and tribander.
Compared to our crummy little DX-40 and WWII era receiver, we thought we
had died and gone to heaven.  Who could even imagine better gear than
that?  Well, I wouldn't trade this Omni VI for that S line now, even with
the amp thrown in.

I think the choices are to send it in for a look and fix, or to operate it
like this, with the XIT on as described while I decide what the future
looks like.  Maybe it's time for that K3 or even a Flex 5000 or something
like that.  Besides the ordinary ravages of old age, I have a degenerative
lung disease that makes the future even more uncertain than it ordinarily
is.  All that has to be thrown into the plotting and scheming.  The
provision for remote operation is becoming a big consideration I think.

Lot to think about!

73 de W6OGC  Jim Allen