Re: [TenTec] Alpha Amplifiers and TEN-TEC Merge

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Alpha Amplifiers and TEN-TEC Merge
From: "Jerry Haigwood" <jerry@w5jh.net>
Date: Mon, 12 May 2014 14:34:49 -0500
All,
     While I wish the best for both companies (especially Ten-Tec), I have
concerns with any merger.  I am retired and went through two merges/buy
outs.  Neither one was pleasant.
First, most companies merge to reduce costs.  That cost comes in several
forms including reduction of personnel.  For instance, if you have a
software engineering department in both companies, the first thing the new
management will do is to merge those two departments into a single
department, reduce duplication, and usually lay someone off.  The same thing
happens to a lot of other departments. Management is usually short sighted
enough to think that one software engineer is the same as another software
engineer.  They think that a person who designs software for an Intel based
product can immediately jump in and start designing for a different
processor.  Of course that kind of thinking creates quality issues.
Besides combining departments, another way the merger saves money is by
combining benefit packages.  If one of the companies has a better benefit
package, management will always choose to keep the benefit package of the
company with the lower benefits.
Elimination of overlap is also a way to save money.  Since RF Concepts
specialty is amplifiers, why would you keep the Ten-Tec amp people?  If I
was an amp designer for Ten-Tec, I would be worried.
That brings us up to a problem which usually can't be avoided.  Some people
will become nervous about their job and leave on their own.  Unfortunately,
it is usually the more talented people who leave.  They basically just get
tired of the BS and go find another job.  When they leave, a vacuum is
created and probably cannot be filled.  How do you replace a person who has
been working for you for 15 years?  That is very hard to do.
Some people think that this reduction of personnel is good for companies -
it keeps them lean.  However, others (and I fall into that category) do not
think disrupting peoples lives is a good thing.  Intel Corporation,
evaluates all personnel every year, ranks them according to skill level,
work ethic, etc., and then lays off the lowest 10%.  It doesn't matter if
they are producing.  They just happened to land in the lowest 10%.  Some
other companies do the same.
I may be dead wrong here and I hope I am.  But, I have seen it happen so
much that I am skeptical of any buyout or merger.  Time will tell us whether
I am right or wrong.  Good luck to Ten-Tec.  May they stay healthy and
building great radios for many more years.

Jerry W5JH