Re: [TenTec] Eagle problem?

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Eagle problem?
From: Carter <k8vt@ameritech.net>
Date: Thu, 15 May 2014 15:25:23 -0400
On 5/14/2014 4:53 PM, Bob McGraw - K4TAX wrote:
My first rule of  engagement......."if it is a mike connect it to the
> mike input.  If it is not a mike then don't connect it to the mike
> input."

Yeah, but...

I HAVE connected the mic to the mic input -- a 705(?) TT and a Heil Pro headset. Neither works above ~ 10 watts input, even with the mic cable using various styles and quantities of ferrite chokes. And this was with NO computer interface anywhere (unless you count the KAM+ connecting to the rear panel FSK jack).

I recall that the Omni VI has  an Audio Input on the rear.  This is
> the place to connect the audio data for the radio.  Now with that
> being said, in doing this one needs to terminate the audio line at
> the radio input with a 270 to 470 ohm resistor.  There is already a
> 10K build out resistor on the inside. Adding  the R at the cable end
> effectively forms a L pad or attenuator. This R can be added
> physically inside the RCA connector on the cable or across the
> female RCA jack on the inside of the radio.  The objective is to get
> the signal level higher on the cable from the computer/interface to
> the radio thus improving the signal-to-noise ratio.  In this case
> the noise is RF.  Even a step further is to add some 10 to 20 dB
> attenuation in the form of a Pi attenuator at the connector end at
> the radio.  This will require the audio level to be raised at the
> computer/interface.

You are correct. There is an RCA jack on the rear panel that is connected right to the front panel mic jack through a 10K resistor.Your idea of terminating the rear RCA jack with a low value resistor is certainly worth a try.

The MIC gain on the radio  should operate about the 9 to 10 o'clock
> position. Be sure the Speech Processor is not active.  Set the radio
> for 100 watts and adjust the audio level from the computer/interface
> to produce some 35 watts of output.

Correct, I -never use the speech processor.

I've used this very  successfully on a Paragon, a Paragon II and two
> different Omni VI radios.  I also use VOX to handle the RX/TX
> switching.

Not using VOX. Have a "Rig Blaster Advantage" that I just got a month or two ago to do PSK and JT modes -- and that is what finally brought the situation to a head and prompted my original post.

73,
Carter   K8VT