Re: [TenTec] Eagle problem?

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Eagle problem?
From: Carter <k8vt@ameritech.net>
Date: Thu, 15 May 2014 15:20:41 -0400
On 5/14/2014 5:56 PM, Stuart Rohre wrote:
Some Yaecomwoods do suffer from RF entering the rig.

MOST ANY rig will if you have a bad shield connection on coax jumper, or have rig too close to the antenna, (second floor shack), and there are many other rig and feedline issues to rule out in any RFI case.
True, can be many causes, but I am in a basement shack. Also, a few years ago, I used a Drake TR-7 on SSB with everything else the same and it worked fine. However, I realize that the TR-7 was not as "computerized" (dependent on microprocessors) as the Omni VI.

Rule of thumb: Power all equipment from same circuit breaker of the house. That ensures AC grounds will not be coming from widely different locations. IF you have to use a long ground wire for lightning protection ground on the station (like from second floor shack), consider that it could act as an "antenna" for pick up of RF from the real antenna. You may need tuned radials, or a radial for each favorite band.
Good tip and I believe I am on the same breaker for all the ham equipment. Again, a basement shack and 5 or 6 feet of a single 3/4 inch wide braid from the ground of each piece of equipment to the ground rod right on the outside of the basement wall.

You could always examine the quality of the grounding of the mike cable shield. Some older mike cords had just a multi-strand wire wrapped in one direction and not a hatch pattern wire shield. Some aluminum foil shields don't make a good low impedance connection by clamping. (Connections that can't be soldered are suspect).

Should have mentioned this earlier, but back in the day before I used any computer interface, I had the problem with both a TT 705(?) mic and a Heil Pro headset. Probably unlikely that both were defective.

73,
Carter   K8VT