Re: [TenTec] Eagle problem?

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Eagle problem?
From: Cecil <chacuff@cableone.net>
Date: Fri, 16 May 2014 08:44:06 -0500
I'm not going to get into a huge debate about these issues because not everyone
is going to agree...but!

I think it important to differentiate these discussions between the two things
that are trying to be solved.  In one case noise on transmitted audio and RF
entering the low level signal path is the primary discussion related to the
Eagle user.

The other is proper techniques for dissipation of lightning strike energy.  The
lightning strike grounding discussion comes into play because 99 percent of the
grounding work attempted and brought up in the subsequent discussion is each
individuals work to protect their station from a static discharge or a
lightning strike event and not noise/RFI mitigation.

The techniques for resolution of the two are a good bit different and one does
not solve the other...

For example Jim is recommending basically daisy chaining bonds from chassis to
chassis then to a ground point.  While that may be good technique for noise/RFI
and so called "pin1" mitigation, it's poor and un-recommended technique for
lightning potential dissipation.  The recommended and industry standard
technique for lightning potential dissipation is to use a low impedance
connection of each chassis directly to the central point ground system. ( or a
heavy buss bar that is a low impedance extension of the central point ground)
You don't want to share the high strike potential that ended up on that chassis
with the chassis of every other device in the shack along the way before
hitting the ground point.  You will notice I mention "Low Impedance" a lot.
That is one of the most important aspects of protection for lightning strike
events.  Cable dress techniques have a lot to do with this as well...you can
use a 4/0 conductor but if you bend it in a sudden sharp 90 degree ang
 le or create a loop with excess you have just created a high impedance path
and lightning strike energy will exit the cable to a lower impedance path.
(ie...depending on the third pin in your power cable to dissipate lightning
strike potential....it's a high impedance path for that energy and the ground
potential rise will be tremendous)

These discussions keep crossing the line back and forth between noise/RFI
mitigation technique and lightning protection technique and it is confusing to
many.

I would suggest keeping your high current grounding work as lightning potential
dissipation/protection and your pin 1, shield handling and low level signal
path RFI issues separate.  They do interact to some degree but also need to
coexist.  I would never eliminate the lightning protection grounding as a
method of resolution of the pin 1, noise/RFI to the low level signal path
problem because to do so would leave the door open inviting disaster.

Now back to your regularly scheduled programming...

Cecil
K5DL