Re: [TenTec] Centurion issue - capacitor arc over repair technique

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Centurion issue - capacitor arc over repair technique
From: David Propper <k2dp@charter.net>
Date: Sat, 24 May 2014 08:47:07 -0500
All,

There was an article in QST within the past couple of years that showed a
solution to this arc over repair problem:

file down the arc over on the capacitor plates (rotor or stator)
cover the damaged area using "Kapton" tape. Kapton is a HV insulation material
that was originally used on mil-spec wiring as insulation.  It is available
from several sources. I recently saw it in a Stanley Supply and Services 2014
Spring Supplement Catalog, page 11 of the 2014 Spring Supplement, "Kapton
Masking Tape".  Check the article in QST because the type of Kapton tape
recommended may actually be of a greater thickness than what Stanley is selling.

fyi, I have a Centurion amp that requires the same repair.

73 and hope that this is helpful,
Dave, K2DP, St. Louis, MO