[TenTec] Orion power-up issue

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Orion power-up issue
From: Dave Borcher <deathgrip52@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2014 17:14:16 -0700
I sporadically had this problem, probably about once every 10 to 15 days,
and I duly changed the memory backup battery per TenTec.  No help.  In my
case, powering the radio again wouldn't correct the problem; I had to do a
full reset.  RAM reset didn't seem to be necessary but I did it because
TenTec says you have to if you do a full reset.

I put my Orion on 12V AGM battery power and I have not had the problem
recur even once in the last 5 months since I did so.

I surmise that if a regulated power supply isn't fast enough to stay above
some limit as the Orion boots up (and undoubtedly the current draw changes
as the radio boots), even though the power supply seems to be working
satisfactorily otherwise, the radio might hiccup and get into some black
hole condition.

Dave  K7NG