Re: [TenTec] Orion power-up issue

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion power-up issue
From: "Bob McGraw - K4TAX" <RMcGraw@Blomand.net>
Date: Fri, 4 Jul 2014 08:00:01 -0500
I suspect there is more to the power supply issue than many realize. Not only the specific power supply, but total power distribution and grounding becomes part of the station configuration.

On terminals, I subscribe to the crimp part for mechanical connection and then solder the terminal for the electrical connection. Loose connections create IR loss and source impedance that moves around. While many supplies have good DC regulation from no load to full load, one must ask do they have good ripple filtering during this transition? Due to slow dynamic response of the regulator circuits, many have a rather raw AC during the transition of loads.

One other point I feel strong about is to have a dedicated ground in place between the radio and the power supply. I do not rely on the DC power cord for this application. One thing here to check is easy. Put the radio in CW mode, on a dummy load and key down. Then measure the voltage between the DC NEG at the supply and the ground terminal on the back of the radio. If you measure more than a few millivolts, you can assume there is need for improvement in the power and grounding configuration.

73
Bob, K4TAX

----- Original Message ----- From: "Dave Borcher" <deathgrip52@gmail.com>