Re: [TenTec] Source for TITAN 425 plate choke?

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Source for TITAN 425 plate choke?
From: "A R" <raf_3@msn.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2014 14:57:24 -0700
Thanks to all for the leads and suggestions. My first thought was to rewind the
damaged choke, since the core/form is still good. Actually, although the choke
has obviously been overheated and I can see where one turn has been melted
open, that turn melted into the two adjacent turns so the choke still has
continuity. I think I have a spool of #24 enameled magnet wire, but it's in the
un-air-conditioned garage, so I won't search for it until the damnable monsoon
lets up. This amp may be my long-term winter project. The 10 ohm/25w plate
resistor has also been VERY hot with the vitreous cooked off over a large
portion.....but still 10 ohms. A replacement for that shouldn't be too tough.
During initial inspection looking for "causes", I discovered that the ball
bearing which loads/captures the rear of the loading cap shaft was missing, and
the rotor shaft was just loose and wobulating with rotation. No evidence of
arcing on the rotor blades, even though the rearmost blade came very close to
the stator mounting rod nuts. Luckily, I had just the right .150 dia ball
bearing, so at least that problem's been put to bed. The parasitic suppressors
look good (not cooked/discolored). A pretty thorough VISUAL inspection hasn't
revealed any other obviously failed components, but I'm sure that when I can
finally apply power, I'll have an opportunity to uncover the root cause of
failure.....assuming it wasn't operator brain-fade. (Sure hope the 3CX800A7's
survived!)

>From what I've described in the way of damaged plate supply components, are
>there any "usual suspects" that lead to such damage in the 425's?

Thanks again for the help!

73,
Allen--W7GIF