Re: [TenTec] onmi 7

To: "R. Eric Sluder-W9WLW" <resluder@yahoo.com>, Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] onmi 7
From: K8JHR <jrichards@k8jhr.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Jul 2014 05:33:46 -0400
Yes it does... but not "like the Orion"  if you are
asking if it is like the Orion setup.

There is a little hole in the bottom of the front
panel that accommodates a screwdriver (maybe better
to use a softer tipped alignment tool, not sure, but
I would try that first) and the Omni VII comes with
the HW mic gain set on full blast, which allows
most desktop (i.e., performance type) dynamic
microphones to work well between 35 and 55 % MIC Gain
(more or less depending on your voice, shack acoustics,
etc.)  and an electret condenser mic may be hotter
and require a substantially lower setting.   I use
an L-pad attenuator circuit when I use the latter
type microphone.  There is a piece explaining
this in p 64 of the Nov QST 2013 Magazine.

I think you want to be very cautious and careful
about adjusting the HW MIC Gain control, as I
understand it is a little pot and kinda fragile,
not exactly intended for a frequent workout.
I find it is fine in the full on default
mode - your mileage may differ.

When I want more control over mic input volume, I
use a small, inexpensive M-Audio mic preamplifier,
and put that on the Line-IN input on the rear
ACC jack, as I feel that gives me greater latitude
over the mic input, and I figure bypassing any
mic amp on the rig (like bypassing the similar
feature/circuit on an inexpensive sound card) makes
for cleaner, stronger, audio input in any case.
An external preamp is likely more quiet than
and on board equivalent, and I prefer working
with Line Level gear.   Your mileage may vary.

Happy trails.