Re: [TenTec] order (delivery costs)

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] order (delivery costs)
From: "K7TXO Radio" <k7txoradio@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Jul 2014 06:44:27 -0700
You might look into what I do sometimes to get lower shipping cost. The price to get packages shipped to a business is usually less than the price to ship to a residential address. You might see if this applies to your area by creating a shipment estimate in UPS or FEDEX from say, TEN-TEC's address to a business address close to your home that you either work at or they would accept deliveries for you. The difference in cost might be significant enough to change where you have packages delivered too.

I suppose there is less work for pickup/drop offs to businesses plus the potential to pickup/drop off multiple packages from that/other businesses nearby would be more efficient driver time. I know in my case, I have some of my radio equipment purchases delivered to where I work and it can sometimes be $10 or more dollars, less than having the same things shipped to my house. My work is ok with me having packages delivered to the office. If the pricing works out for you, check first with the business to make sure they are ok with packages coming for you. It might also be cheaper to have packages delivered to a UPS or FEDEX office instead of putting on a local delivery truck to your house but I have never checked to see if they offer or allow that as a specific program for less money. I do now you can alter a delivery already in transit to your house, to have packages held at these offices but I do not think that lowers the price of the delivery.

There definitely is a lower price for large items that come by Surface Truck when delivery is to a business. They do not like having to run those trucks into residential neighborhoods (fuel usage, size of trucks, time hunting in a residential area, additional school zones, etc) plus the facilities to unload at a business are often better. Forklift might be used for example to unload multiple packages or larger packages that might be done by hand but nobody really wants to lift. Say, an old HENRY 2k amplifier for example. Or some businesses have docks that will match the floor height of a surface truck; the truck folks really like that; faster load/unload times. If a rear lift is required to make a residential drop for larger stuff, they charge extra for routing one of the trucks in their fleet that would be equipped with a lift like that. Obviously an Omni VII or other radio will ship UPS or FEDEX instead but still cheaper to have them drop it off at a business. If you are not at home to receive the package, it could be safer to have it dropped at a business too.

And finally, there are some companies that used to require shipments go to the recipients billing address but I think that is rarer today. Too many people have a different mailing address versus their billing address.

Gene  /  K7TXO

-----Original Message----- From: Brian Carling