Re: [TenTec] SOFTWARE at WRTC

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] SOFTWARE at WRTC
From: "Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP" <Rick@DJ0IP.de>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2014 19:48:58 +0200
Ron, that was perhaps a poor choice of words.

I regularly get invited to one of our many teams.
I think that's because most of the guys remember the old Rick and don't
realize that I'm an old man now.
In all honesty, if I took them up on their offer, I would probably
disappoint them.

If I should decided to get back into team contesting, then I would want to
perform as best as I can and in order to do that, I need to become familiar
with the radio I would be using.  Usually a K3 (now days).

Of course I could keep my Eagle but there is no way they would ever allow an
Eagle on site at one of our team contesting stations.  At least not at any
of the serious ones.  Keep in mind, we have about 400 members in our club
and tens of contest stations.

So if my goal was to join a team again, YES, I would definitely choose my
second favorite radio in order to prepare myself for the Olympics.

That's all theoretical because I don't think I could deal with the stress of
a serious team effort any more.  I prefer to contest on my own and sleep
when I want to, not when the schedule says I have to.

Or in other words, I would rather keep my Eagle than have to buy a K3 to
prepare for team contesting.

Ron, if I remember correctly, you are a sports car buff.
Back in the 60's the best formula one driver in the world (IMO) was Stirling
Moss.
He was never the world champion because he refused to drive any car that
wasn't British.
He could have gotten a seat in the Ferrari team, but he refused.
Thus he never made it.
The next driver to achieve that was Jimmy Clark, several years later.

Team players have to put their personal preferences aside and do what the
team demands.

73 - Rick, DJ0IP
(Nr. Frankfurt am Main)