[TenTec] OT: Need advice checking out a stored 3-500

To: TenTec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] OT: Need advice checking out a stored 3-500
From: Al Gulseth <wb5jnc@centurytel.net>
Date: Sun, 3 Aug 2014 19:41:52 -0500
(Posting this for a local fellow ham who currently isn't on the web)

As the subject line says, a local ham friend of mine asked me today about how
to go about checking out/waking up a 3-500 (Z?) that came as a spare with his
AL-80A when he bought it a few years back. He's not really sure how long the
tube had been sitting around unused/un-exercised before he bought the amp.
I've seen conflicting info on how to go about it, and the last time I had my
hands on something like that was 30+ years ago when I worked in the broadcast
industry before I switched to a different career. Any suggestions? Other than
his amp I don't have any way that I know of to check it.

Contact me off list if appropriate.

BTW Ten-Tec connection: he's driving it with an Orion.

TNX/73, Al