Re: [TenTec] OT: Need advice checking out a stored 3-500

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] OT: Need advice checking out a stored 3-500
From: "Bob McGraw - K4TAX" <RMcGraw@Blomand.net>
Date: Sun, 3 Aug 2014 20:32:40 -0500
I have an Ameritron AL-80B on my desk that I drive with my Omni VII. It does not have a dedicated HV or FIL switch. When the amp is switched ON, it brings up, with delay, the filament voltage and the high voltage along with the cooling fan.

I would first check between the tube elements with an ohm meter. You should see a very low R value across the filament pins which are the 2 closest together. There are 3 grid pins, all common, and measuring between each of them you should find a very low resistance. There must be NO resistance between the filament and grid pins and NO resistance between the grid pins and plate connector on top. If this checks out OK then proceed as follows. If you find resistance between any of the elements, grid to filament, or grid to plate, then you have a suitable lamp base. Do not put the tube in the amp.

First we must presume the amp is working correctly with the present tube. If so, then unplug the amp and remove the covers. Remove the existing tube and install the new tube. Be sure the amp has the correct fuses installed. Put the cover back on the amp and secure to engage the safety interlock . Plug in the amp and turn it on. There is no need to "burn in" this type of tube. If there is an issue with the tube, it will immediately be obvious. You may see a bit of a blue glow inside the envelope but this will go away with use.

The with the transceiver and a dummy load start with about 20 watts of drive and tune for maximum output. Then increase drive to about 80 watts and touch up the tuning and loading for maximum output. Do not allow the tube to exceed 200 ma of grid current nor 525 ma of plate current. With key down and about 80 watts of drive one should see 1000 to 1200 watts output depending on band. A power output of less than 1000 watts with 80 watts of drive indicates a tube that is "soft" or does not have proper emission.

Having the filaments on and no HV serves no purpose. With drive and proper tuning the plate will show color. The red glow of the tube plate will consume any air that has accumulated into the tube envelope.

73
Bob, K4TAX

----- Original Message ----- From: "Rodney" <w3krq@dejazzd.com> To: <wb5jnc@centurytel.net>; "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Sent: Sunday, August 03, 2014 8:10 PM

put it in your amp only turn on the filament and let it run for 5 or 6 hours until you turn on plate voltage. I know a ham that had 34 304tl tubes and that what he did.
-----Original Message----- From: Al Gulseth