Re: [TenTec] Hercules 444 amp

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Hercules 444 amp
From: "Duane Calvin" <ac5aa1@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2014 20:51:08 -0500
Sure, Carter.  My Centurion came new with two RF Parts 3-500ZG's.  This was
fairly early in the life of this tube configuration (graphite anode variety)
and manufacturer, and TT had just started advertising they were using them.
After about 2 years of occasional use, generally running between 600-900W
(and all settings well within the safe zone), one of the original tubes
developed the infamous grid/cathode short.  I replaced the original tubes
with a new matched-pair of 3-500ZG's from RF Parts, and shortly after that I
sold the amp (with a used spare tube).  I know lots of guys who have had
Heath and other amps with EIMAC 3-500Z's in them for years with very few
problems.  Yes, mine could have been a late early life failure, but at that
time I was reading of others having similar problems with these tubes.  That
was a few years ago - maybe RF Parts has improved their relationship with
the factory that makes these tubes and all is well today.  So, my "data"
consists of one in-person experience along with a number of other reported
failures around the same time, for whatever that's worth.  The implication,
to me, is that the tubes at that time were not of the same quality level as
EIMAC's.

        73, Duane

Duane Calvin, AC5AA
Austin, Texas