[TenTec] Zepp

To: Ten Tec list <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Zepp
From: Marty Hartwell <mhartwe@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2014 10:49:54 -0500
Hi

I was reading the posts concerning the Zeppelin antenna. I did a search on the web
and got some picture drawings showing what I am familiar with. Also someone
said it was a trailing wire antenna, which is one I used from a bomber type in the Navy, which is simply a spool of wire attached to an automatic matching device and the wire is a random length, to install it we just strung out what we estimated to be over a 100 feet, no real measurement done. In some cases we were able to get a type of wire that was reinforced but usually it was just plain old 14 gage wire we
were able to pick up at a hardware store or some such.
Yes Zeppelins may have used a trailing wire antenna I know our Blimps during and after WW2 had them, but the Zepp used on the Zeppelins was supported in each end of the main straight part of the top and fed with open wire feeder, and the feeder was whatever
it took to reach the tuner/matching device.
To the persons saying it is a G5RV antenna, it is not, the G5RV radiator is of a specific length, and has a fixed length for the 75 Ohm feeder, if I remember right. I have used
a Zepp antenna, but not a G5RV.

Marty kd8bj