[TenTec] FW: Argo V and digital modes

To: <k9yc@arrl.net>, "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] FW: Argo V and digital modes
From: "Duane Calvin" <ac5aa1@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2014 14:17:47 -0500
My apology to Jim and the reflector for my last posting.  Guess I'm a little
grumpy today.  Rigs for a long time have been designed for FSK RTTY, meaning
that a frequency-shifted carrier was transmitted and/or AFSK RTTY, meaning
a two-toned SSB signal was generated.  Both imply very different transmit
processing.  We're on a Ten-Tec reflector where what I've just stated is
true up through the Orion's.  I can't vouch for some of the later rigs, but
suspect the same is true.  As for other-branded semi- or full-SDR
implemented radios, your mileage may vary.  If Jim wants to describe a
frequency-shifted carrier as modulation and treat it as an analog signal,
fine, then run a Class A amp with it if you like.  However, my point was
that generating a clean signal via FSK is a lot easier, usually, than AFSK
where many more variables enter into the equation.  Today, with SDR and
semi- or partial-SDR radios, it's anyone's guess on how the RTTY signal is
being generated, but it's still up to the operator to generate a clean
signal.

        73, Duane

Duane Calvin, AC5AA
Austin, Texas