Re: [TenTec] Modern version of the Tec Tec Corsair - please , Ten Tec!

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Modern version of the Tec Tec Corsair - please , Ten Tec!
From: "Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP" <Rick@DJ0IP.de>
Date: Sat, 4 Oct 2014 13:08:15 +0200
Rigs don't win contests, operators do,
. . . followed by antennas
. . . followed by luck
. . . then comes the rig.

73 - Rick, DJ0IP
(Nr. Frankfurt am Main)

-----Original Message-----
From: TenTec [mailto:tentec-bounces@contesting.com] On Behalf Of Steve Berg
Sent: Saturday, October 04, 2014 5:39 AM
To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Modern version of the Tec Tec Corsair - please , Ten
Tec!

I just ordered an Omni VII, but will be keeping my Corsair II and external
VFO.  The radio has simply incredible performance with a few quirks.  I
bought an Argonaut VI to get some idea of how good a new DSP rig might be,
and it is very good, but it seems to have some problems with really close in
QRM, though its selectivity is a bit better than the Corsair II.  I used the
Corsair II to work T32C a while back, and on
40 meters, I had to use the 250 Hz filter and the audio filter to pull them
out from some lid transmitting very close to them.  I was able to copy them,
despite this, and was very happy to have that level of performance.  Right
now, I am using the Ten Tec RF speech clipper with the Corsair II and it
works very well.  I couldn't pass up the deal on the Omni VII, and have been
concerned with parts availability for the Corsair II, but really like its
level of performance.  Would I buy a Corsair III?  Sure, but I doubt that
Ten Tec could find enough buyers for it.  Most people now seem to want
contest winning rigs, and I am not sure that a superb analog rig, even with
digital outputs for mode and frequency would find enough buyers.

Steve WA9JML