Re: [TenTec] Modern version of the Tec Tec Corsair - please , Ten Tec!

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Modern version of the Tec Tec Corsair - please , Ten Tec!
From: "Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP" <Rick@DJ0IP.de>
Date: Sat, 4 Oct 2014 18:24:18 +0200
Mike, you are right, money is indeed required, but you can build a
competitive station for a lot less money than what Tim spends on his
station.

But you are jumping leagues.
I was speaking about a single op.

If you want to play in Tim, Frank, and Matt's league, you need something
else:  good intelligent planning and execution.
There is a lot more home brew, + blood, sweat and tears going into those
stations than you might imagine.
You cannot buy what they have!

For the past 20 years, I owned the all time highest score record in one
European country (CQWW CW).
Last year SP7VC broke my record.

I drove down to that country pulling a camping trailer, put up 3 antennas:
a vertical dipole and a horizontal dipole, both fed with openwire thru
symmetrical match boxes, and a 160m OCFD.  I ran my Omni VI and an old
Ameritron AL-80A amplifier (with home-brew time sequencing).  Granted, there
was a fair amount of money involved but less than the cost of a single
IC-7800 (if we don't count the BMW and the camper).

Oh well, I don't think I will try and reclaim that record.  I nearly froze
my "you know what" off putting up antennas in the snow and wind, up in the
Alps.  Anyway, I was the 80m operator on the team that still holds the all
time record for that country in SSB CQWW.  We didn't spend a lot of money
either.  We begged, borrowed or stole everything.
See:  http://www.dj0ip.de/my-expeditions/hb0csz-1988/
Look closely at the picture, you'll even spot my Omni-A near the middle of
the picture.

Oh, and one year later, that same team, plus a few more operators broke the
all time European record in CW and SSB for CQWW, using that same tired old
equipment.

73 - Rick, DJ0IP
(Nr. Frankfurt am Main)