Re: [TenTec] Another retro question - Argosy-Century

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Another retro question - Argosy-Century
From: "Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP" <Rick@DJ0IP.de>
Date: Sat, 11 Oct 2014 11:38:49 +0200
AL,

I'm curious as to what those reasons might be.  I'll ask Jack.

Relying on ALC or simply backing off drive is a very inefficient way of
consuming d.c. power.
I thought it was rather ingenious how they implemented the "power switch" on
the analog version.
Actually I think Elecraft had that option in the K2 as well, but I can't
remember for certain.

Most people plan their EMCOMM from the aspect of being on the rescuing team.
I planned mine from the aspect of being the one needing rescued.
You see things a lot different from that side of the fence.

The rescuing team assumes they will be the first responders with more help
coming behind them.
The victim has no idea how long it will be until he is rescued, and needs to
plan his station for as little power consumption as possible.

Here is one suggestion:

The older Triton radios had a great feature; it could easily be converted to
a true QRP rig.

...They had a short piece of RG-142 running from the output of the driver
stage, to the input of the final 50 or 100w stage - depending on which
Triton you had.  This cable had an RCA Phono plug on it.

...The output of the final stage had a similar cable running to the Low Pass
Filter board.

...It was a simple task to unplug the two cables and plug the driver's cable
directly into the LPF board.  You then had a QRP transceiver with 5 to 10w
of output power.  But power consumption was still higher than need be.

...Since the final stage was still connected to the +13v line and it would
draw a little current as well, even though it was not in use.  Simple
solution:  Insert an inline fuse in the thick red cable running to the
finals.

So when you needed to run QRP off of batteries for an extended period of
time, simply remove the cabinet, plug the driver into the LPF board and
remove the fuse to the finals.  Voila!  You have an efficient QRP rig.

BTW, this works on the Scout as well, converting it to an Argo with 5w out.

73 - Rick, DJ0IP
(Nr. Frankfurt am Main)