Re: [TenTec] repairs

To: "'Don Rasmussen'" <wb8yqj@yahoo.com>, "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] repairs
From: "Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP" <Rick@DJ0IP.de>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2014 07:12:00 +0100
Don, THERE IS SOMETHING ROTTEN IN DENMARK HERE.

They clearly advertise "single conversion".

Could someone here please explain to me (technically) how PBT can work with
single conversion?
Elecraft could not manage to make it work, and Wayne is pretty sharp!

I will explain how it works on every other rig I have ever seen or read
about:

..You must have two different IF frequencies, each with a good filter (XTAL,
mechanical, whatever).

..You use a variable-frequency local oscillator to feed the 2nd mixer

..By varying the oscillator frequency back and forth, you can move the
passband of the second filter back and forth, skewing it above or below the
passband of the first filter.  THIS IS HOW YOU TUNE PASSBAND.

Either this radio does not have PBT, or as I suggested in an earlier post,
they are secretly doing some stuff in DSP - which would mean they have a 2nd
IF - and their marketing is lying to us.

If the latter, then it will be similar in concept to the Eagle and if it is
implemented properly, might be very good. If the performance is similar to
the Eagle or even close, then contrary to what others think, I believe there
are enough old farts (like me) willing to spend even as much as $2K on the
box like that.

In any case I find it refreshing that someone has finally turned the rudder
in the other direction.
Hats off to Palstar for even making that risky move.

I know lots of people judge radios and other things by their looks, but if
looks were so important to everyone, I never would have found a wife... and
heck, I've been married 3 times!  ;-)

73 - Rick, DJ0IP
(Nr. Frankfurt am Main)