Re: [TenTec] PBT and other issues.

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] PBT and other issues.
From: "Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP" <Rick@DJ0IP.de>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2014 16:24:36 +0100
Tony, you bring up an important point which people often neglect.
In the 70s and especially in the 60s when Collins was selling radios with
Mechanical filters and IF shift, the band conditions were nothing like they are
today.  Today band condx are much worse.

FACTS ON FILTERS:

Although we speak of filters as being 2.4 kHz or 500 Hz bandwidth, that is only
a small part of the story.
The bandwidth we state here is the "6dB bandwidth".  Perhaps more important is
the "60dB bandwidth".

Filters are typically spec'd at 6dB and 60dB and the relation of the passband
at these two specs is called the "shape factor".   A lower number is better.  I
will abbreviate this with "SF"

Here are some typical specs on filters:

--455kHz SSB FILTER-----6dB---------60dB------SF-------TYPE---
--Collins F455F-21-----2.1kHz------5.3kHZ----2.5:1---Mechanical*
--Collins F455D-25-----2.5kHz------6.5kHZ----2.6:1---Mechanical**
--ICOM FL-44-----------2.4kHz------4.2kHz----1.75:1--Crystal
--ICOM FL-96-----------2.8kHz------5.0kHz----1.8:1---Crystal
--Yaesu FL-110S--------2.6kHz------4.7kHz----1.8:1---Crystal

--455kHz CW FILTER------6dB---------60dB------SF-------TYPE---
--Collins F455F-21-----0.5kHz------2.5kHZ----5.0:1---Mechanical*
--ICOM FL-100----------0.5kHz------1.4kHz----2.8:1---Crystal

--TEN-TEC 9MHz FIL------6dB---------60dB------SF-------TYPE---
--Model 220 SSB -------2.4kHz---- 4.0kHz-----1.7:1---Crystal
--Model 217 CW --------0.5kHz-----0.95kHz----1.9:1---Crystal

*The "F-Series" was used in the Collins S-Line
**The "D-Series", called "Low Cost Series" Mechanical filters, was used by OEMs
such as Yaesu.  This is probably what Palstar will use -but I don't know.  Just
a hunch.

Keep in mind that "shape factor" is VERY important and a lower number is better.
Though fantastic by 1960s standards, a 2.5:1 shape factor today is considered
pathetic.

The really good crystal filters today have a shape factor of 1.4:1.
DSP filters are even better, something like 1.2:1.  Perhaps John Henry can give
us the exact specs here.

Having Collins Mechanical filters in modern radios is not bad but clearly
nothing to brag about in terms of performance.

On the other hand, there may be other reasons (i.e. nostalgia) for wanting to
own a radio with these filters but let's understand the trade-offs.

If the TR-30A only has IF Shift and no real PBT, then don't expect performance
to be anything like that of the Eagle, in terms of close-in BDR3.

There may be many other reasons for wanting to own this radio, but be careful
about believing the performance claims.
Everyone makes high performance claims!

73 - Rick, DJ0IP
(Nr. Frankfurt am Main)