Re: [TenTec] repairs

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] repairs
From: "Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP" <Rick@DJ0IP.de>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2014 09:34:38 +0100
Yes, but the Orion also had Band-Width used in conjunction with IFS.
When you combine BW with IFS, you get the same functionality as PBT.
Without narrowing the bandwidth, the technology is a help but is often not
as effective.

Tnx for reminding me where I had seen IF Shift.
I was trying to remember which rig(s) I had seen that in.
It's been 30 years since I have owned a Drake Line.

I fully agree; the terminology is a bit vague here.  In fact Wayne Burdick,
N6KR, the chief engineer at Elecraft expressed that problem too, and went on
to explain the difference between the two technologies as follows:

*** There are at least two kinds of "shifting" covered by these terms:

- In one case you're just shifting the pitch of the I.F. without
changing the bandwidth. A more accurate term would be "Pitch Shifting."

- In the other case you're shifting *two* I.F.s in opposite directions,
reducing the degree of I.F. filter overlap from 100% to something
lower, so that the ultimate bandwidth (at audio) is reduced. The center
pitch of the passband may or may not change at the same time. Let's
call this "Filter Shifting." ***

Source:
http://elecraft.365791.n2.nabble.com/IF-Shift-vs-Passband-Tuning-td392810.ht
ml

IMO, the first is properly termed IF Shift, and the second is termed
Passband Tuning.
But that is after all, just semantics.

So let's agree (I hope) that regardless of what it is called, the IF
tuning/shifting in a single conversion radio is not as effective as the
tuning/shifting in a dual conversion radio (assuming both are implemented
soundly).

73 - Rick, DJ0IP
(Nr. Frankfurt am Main)