Re: [TenTec] New Radios in the Future

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] New Radios in the Future
From: Steve Berg <wa9jml@frontier.com>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2014 20:59:44 -0500

I don't have any particular interest in a computer operated radio. But, I am not a top notch DXer or contester, either.

To my mind, the best compact radio format was that of the Argonaut II/Delta II. It had most of the same capabilities as the Omni V, but not the same level of performance. I managed to get a really good Argonaut II, and it has served me well for several decades, but it is getting tired. I bought a Ten Tec 6&2 meter rig, but found that it was not as versatile as the Argonaut II was with transverters. The one shortfall for the Argo II showed up when we had a wild 6 meter opening to Spain and Portugal, and the selectivity of the Jones filter was simply insufficient to sort out the closely packed CW signals. The keypad frequency entering is a really nice feature. And, the noise blanker on the old clunker is the best I have ever found. It also had a pot to set the delay for keying the transverter and my ancient Mirage brick amplifier. The new rig could not do that it was set for fast QSK, and that was it. My brick could not keep up with the keying. So, I sold the radio.

In terms of performance, I have very few problems with my older Corsair II. It has served me very well, but it is of the same vintage as the Argo II. So, I bought an Argonaut VI, to see how well a modern radio can work. It is very good, and I had a lot of fun working the W1AW portable stations with 10 watts. It did a lot better than I expected, even on SSB, helped a lot with the RF speech processor accessory. I will be using the Argo VI on 2 meters with a transverter and brick.

Once I decided that the sale was a fine incentive, I purchased an Omni VII with the optional 300 HZ filter, remembering that it helps to have a really narrow receiver, even on 6 meters. I will be keeping the older Argonaut and Corsair II in reserve. I expect that it will become increasingly difficult to find parts for the older rigs, but I am not so sure that we will continue to see increased designed obsolescence in our ham rigs. As ham radio is a hobby, and also that most people's incomes are not rising much these days, it will behoove manufacturers to follow Ten Tec's lead and provide much better service for their older radios. Many of us will not be able to afford frequent radio replacement.

Your mileage may vary.

Steve WA9JML