Re: [TenTec] New Radios in the Future

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] New Radios in the Future
From: Richards <jrichards@k8jhr.com>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2014 22:50:42 -0400
This is one of your best bits, Rick. Newer radios have more options, settings, features, etc. Unless we increase front panel real estate to allow for more knobs and buttons, we must resort to some other interface, as Rich suggests. Previously, manufacturers met the demand for more controls by adding a MENU system, but even this is becoming cumbersome and difficult to manage easily and quickly. One of my radios has 196 menu items. That is kinda nutty, and difficult to manage looking at just a few at a time. It can get awkward scrolling up or down to change settings.

Hence, the need for an alternative interface that is inexpensive to build, but which provides quick access to a myriad of controls. Computer based interfaces can help, but then we lose touch with the rig, itself, so perhaps the interface of the future will be a combination of a few, well chosen, front panel controls, and another mode that provides quick access and adjustment of other controls. I still like my Omni VII and how the most used controls are on the front panel, with a simple, one level menu for less often used controls. I also liked my TS-590 which had buttons and knobs for many items, and other controls were easily accessed using either Kenwood's control program or Carl's N4PY control program. The ability to access, view and modify the entire menu system on a single screen is golden. Having a few key knobs that are easy to use is also golden.

Rick's and Carl's comments hit the spot. Having the right interface will be key in the future.