Re: [TenTec] New Radios in the Future

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] New Radios in the Future
From: "Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP" <Rick@DJ0IP.de>
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2014 08:23:58 +0100
GM Gary,

We are fully in sync this morning.
Things are always clearer in the morning than they are late at night.

Yesterday I overlooked two letters in you statement: "tu".
I said it posts when it hears stations calling CQ.  (and it does)
You said it posts when it hears stations sending 599 tu (and it does...)

At the time it did not occur to me that in a contest QSO, only one station
sends "tu", the run station.  The station pouncing doesn't get a chance to
respond with tu.  Just a minor detail with a huge consequence.

The "tu" is the filter used to screen out the stations moving on.

The rest is all OK.  We agree.

The advantage of doing it your way is, the local CW Skimmer only posts what
you can hear.
The advantages of using a remote skimmer are simplicity and cost.  You don't
need any extra hardware (nothing at all) and if the feature is built-in to
your contesting logging software, it is for free.

As I said last night, the "dead" posts in my band map are far less than 50%
and usually if one cannot be heard, it is obvious.  For instance, if it say
KL7xyz in the middle of the day on 40m, well that's pretty obvious that I
won't be able to hear him then.

Sounds like your system works great.

73 - Rick, DJ0IP
(Nr. Frankfurt am Main)