Re: [TenTec] can't service the omni-VI mixer

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] can't service the omni-VI mixer
From: Ron Notarius W3WN <wn3vaw@verizon.net>
Date: Thu, 06 Nov 2014 13:26:40 -0600 (CST)
Let's keep in perspective that this -- the obsolesence and unavailability of
certain electronic parts & components -- is actually nothing new.  We're just
seeing more of it.

It is unfortunate that certain circuit boards are no longer available, even as
bare boards.  But we can't realistically expect every manufacturer to stockpile
several decades worth of supplies for potential repairs, and we can't
realistically expect every manufacturer to be able to reproduce small
quantities of new boards on demand, regardless of the price we're willing to
pay.

It is unfortunate that certain transistors, IC's, and other components are no
longer made.  Just as 40 years ago, it was unfortunate that certain tubes from
the earlier part of the century were no longer avaialble, and that substitues
were not readily or easily available.  But it's going to happen.

It would certainly be nice if a company would be willing to re-engineer certain
boards or sub-boards or sub-sections, when parts for the original are no longer
available, to create a direct or suitable replacement.  But that costs time and
money, and requires engineering and design talent, all for relatively small
returns.  At what point does a manufacturer say "it's just not worth it, not
even close" and redirect those energies and funds towards development of new
equipment?

It would be nice if a company would be willing to help a small endeavor to
re-design or re-engineer these obsoletes systems/sub-systems.  At what point
does the concerns over liability and future support make this a difficult thing
to do, even if the manufacturer is willing to do so in the first place?

I say "manufacturer" because this is not a problem unique to Ten-Tec... for
that matter, to the Amateur Radio marketplace.

Look gang, I don't like it any better than the next guy.  I love my Corsair II,
but it needs a little TLC that I haven't had time to give it... and I'm
starting to stockpile certain key parts, just in case.  That's sometimes the
best that any of us can do.

We should be thankful that Ten-Tec makes a real, serious effort to repair and
maintain older gear.  A lot of other manufacturers -- not just in the Amateur
Radio market -- give a token effort to that at best, and many simply tell you
too bad, so sad, just write off the old gear and buy something new.  (And not
always that politely)

73, ron w3wn