Re: [TenTec] OT Computer Assistance

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] OT Computer Assistance
From: "Ron Notarius W3WN" <wn3vaw@verizon.net>
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2014 12:12:32 -0500
Phil...

First and foremost:  Avoid Windows 8.1 machines for now.  No, it won't be
easy.  However, you will find that many older 32 bit software applications,
and just about all older 16 bit software apps, will not work on Win 8, by
design.

Second, remember that there are two "forks" for Windows 7:  32 bit and 64
bit.  I strongly recommend that you find a machine with 32 bit Win 7, again,
to maintain maximum possible compatibility with your older software.

Both Windows 7 & Windows 8 have the capability of running a Virtual Machine
-- a software computer within the computer.  Consider setting up a VM
running XP for those older apps that you need (for now) that won't run or
run properly on Win 7.  (I do this at work, on the test Win 8 computer I've
been running for about 7-8 months now... those apps that can't run on Win 8
run just fine on my Windows Vista VM)

Everyone has their own favorite computer brand.  No doubt you'll get many
suggestions.  One suggestion from me is to look at Dell Financial Services
for a factory refurbished machine (usually a leased machine that's been
returned after the lease is up).  They have an eBay store, at
http://stores.ebay.com/Dell-Financial/Dell-/_i.html?rt=nc&_fsub=3690393012&_
sid=30734292&_sticky=1&_trksid=p4634.c0.m14&_sop=2&_sc=1 (that's a long
link).  You will find a lot of relatively inexpensive machines here, with
Vista or Win 7 pre-installed, and a 30 day factory warranty.  I've bought
several machines from DFS this way -- Optiplex 760's with Win 7 (32 bit)
Professional -- for a relative fraction of a brand new machine cost.

Regarding the printers... well, some of them may be ready to be retired, sad
to say.  Factor in the cost & availability of supplies (ie ink or toner) vs.
the cost of an add-in serial or parallel board for your new machine... yes,
you can find them.  (The Optiplexes I mentioned?  They have 'regular' serial
& parallel ports).

That said, if you are running an in-house network, and you really want to
keep those older printers, look into a network print server.  You can still
find them with parallel ports, and it would also make sharing printers
between machines easier.

Now, with all that said...

What printers, and for that matter, what software are you running?  It's
hard to give a definitive answer when we don't know what you're actually
running or trying to use.

73, ron w3wn