[TenTec] 2nd Try: SDR Technology ?

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] 2nd Try: SDR Technology ?
From: "Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP" <Rick@DJ0IP.de>
Date: Sat, 27 Dec 2014 11:35:08 +0100
First pass brought a lot of suggestions for SDR models, and I have an exact
plan about how I want to attach the receiver to my Eagle, and manage it with
N4PY software.  I have a short list of 2 receivers.  I may possibly be able to
borrow a Flex 1500 for a couple of months and use it as a receiver.

However, my fundamental question did not get answered, in fact not even really
addressed.

"What technology differences do we compare when evaluating SDR receivers?"
(Let's stick with the low cost - under $300 -  for this thread please.)

Basically all of the SDR radios are sensitive enough.
I guess, at least for the low cost models, the selectivity is determined by the
sound card.

I want to compare radios that have built in sound cards because I don't want
lots of wires running to my laptop.
But what do I look at?
Do we compare sound card chips in this case?
If so, what specs of the sound card chip are important?

What else?

>From what I have been able to find on the web, all of these low cost models
>have a close in BDR3 ranging from about 65 to 75dB.  Not great but acceptable
>for daily use, at least in SSB.  Better receivers go for $500 or more.  No
>surprises there.

For my initial project, I will just use some simple stuff, but I'm curious to
learn more about this technology.
It won't be too much longer before the theory we all learned is school is not
even used anymore.

BTW, this is one of the best pages I have found so far on this topic:
http://www.rtl-sdr.com/roundup-software-defined-radios/

73 - Rick, DJ0IP
(Nr. Frankfurt am Main)