Re: [TenTec] Hot Dang - Rick is a Best Link of the Week on DX-zone.com

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Hot Dang - Rick is a Best Link of the Week on DX-zone.com
From: Jim Allen <jim.allen@longhornband.net>
Date: Mon, 2 Mar 2015 11:11:41 -0600
I don't know why you would worry that was not the answer I was hoping for.  It
would be easier, of course, to be able to say "the only sensible choice is the
'DX Pulverizer model xyz'" but for some reason, things are seldom that straight
forward when dealing with antennas, feed lines, tuners, doubtlessly in part to
the wide variations in circumstances we face when trying to put up antennas.

There is also a good bit of what seems like voodoo out there, magic, baloney,
old wive's tales and worse, a lot of it induced by the antenna manufacturers
advertising claims.  It is also very difficult to make reliable comparisons
between different approaches.  I remember being involved in a very minor way
with N6NB testing quads v. Yagi's back 35 years or so ago.  Who puts a 70'
crank up tower on a trailer and hauls it all over Southern California to do
side by side comparison testing?  If it was easy, everybody would do it!

You will recall I have planned a horizontal loop, about which you and I
corresponded last fall.  I've made some progress, and as soon as I can overcome
the limitations of weather, old age and decrepitude, I hope to get that
finished shortly.  I have an AH-4 which has been a very versatile device but I
worry about losses.  Running QRP, as I often do and prefer, there are no db's
to waste!  Maybe something like a balanced tuner would lower the losses at some
cost of inconvenience. I appreciate your insights on this.

73 de W6OGC Jim Allen

Sent from my iPad