Re: [TenTec] Remote tuning knob/encoder for Omni 6

To: Barry N1EU <barry.n1eu@gmail.com>, Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Remote tuning knob/encoder for Omni 6
From: "Lee WA3FIY" <wa3fiy@radioadv.com>
Date: Fri, 06 Mar 2015 10:05:18 -0500
As far as you went they are similar but the 302 has 15 pushbuttons for various
functions in
addition to the encoder, the 301 does not.  The 302 sends a simple data byte(s)
described in
the programming manual for the Pegasus.  That data byte needs to be decoded at
the radio
to determine what the operator requested.

Gert must have built a circuit to decode the incoming data to make it look like
a simple two
phase encoder.

-Lee-

On 6 Mar 2015 at 9:37, Barry N1EU wrote:

> They both use optical encoders so they should both run off +V/gnd and
> have two pulse/phase outputs, so aren't they similar?
>
> My search revealed that 10 years back, PA3AAV reported using his 302
> with the Omni 6.  I emailed Gert but haven't heard from him yet.
>
> Barry N1EU
>

> On Fri, Mar 6, 2015 at 9:27 AM, Lee WA3FIY <wa3fiy@radioadv.com>
> wrote:
>
> > To the best of my knowledge, the 302 series remote pods are totally
> > different critters compared to the 301.  The 302 can only be used
> > with a transceiver or receiver that can interpret the incoming data
> > properly.
> >
> > Ten Tec states "...The 302R remote/encoder keypad allows armchair
> > operation of the JUPITER, PEGASUS, RX-350D, OMNI-VII, ORION, or
> > ORION II. Black color is cosmetic match for current TEN-TEC HF
> > transceivers..."
> >
> > -Lee-
> >

> > On 6 Mar 2015 at 6:45, Barry N1EU wrote:
> >
> > > I've got my third question answered via the DB25 diagram on page
> > > 5-1 of the manual and the remote encoder connection info at
> > > http://users.hal-pc.org/~kg5u/301.html
> > >
> > > DescriptionEncoderDB-25Ground"-"1 and 14Phase 1"A"6Phase
> > > 2"B"8+5v"+"16
> > >
> > > I will assume a "Y" cable is needed if you want simultaneous
> > > computer connection and remote tuning.
> > >
> > > So all I'm hoping to find out is whether anybody has connected a
> > > 302R remote or whether anybody has the DIN connector pin outs of
> > > the 302R?
> > >
> > > Thanks & 73,
> > > Barry N1EU

---