Re: [TenTec] Argonaut VI Lost RX/TX on 160/80 Meters

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Argonaut VI Lost RX/TX on 160/80 Meters
From: Reed <w4jz@bellsouth.net>
Date: Sat, 13 Jun 2015 16:03:56 -0500
Yep Stuart the circuit uses both 160 & 80 meters, but no relays. I printed out the schematic & believe U35 is the problem. It is a surface mount device, but no part number or exactly where U35 is located on the preselector board. I have an idea where it is, but these little chips are so small doubt if I had one I could successfully desolder & solder without messing up the trace. I'm sure I need a heat gun & 3 magnifying glasses to do this kind of work.

I'm more curious why this happened. It was receiving just fine & all of a sudden receive signals dropped from 10 over S9 to S1 & also no transmit. 40 through 10 are just fine. I don't know if static could have caused this or a chip that was just defective that took a while to go out. I did take antenna down, OCF dipole built by Antennas West in 1997, & did find some ants making a home inside the 6:1 balun. Cleaned that up & resealed. I did find one nick on the insulation which had the wire exposed to the elements & repaired that. Guess tree limb rubbing might have caused that. Other wise antenna insulation is in great shape to be this old.

Will give Ten Tec a call Monday. Rig is out of warranty so hope the turn around is not going to be too long. Would like to use it on field day.

Thanks,
Reed  W4JZ