Re: [TenTec] Argonaut VI Lost RX/TX on 160/80 Meters

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Argonaut VI Lost RX/TX on 160/80 Meters
From: Reed <w4jz@bellsouth.net>
Date: Sat, 13 Jun 2015 19:50:48 -0500
Yep Stuart that is one thing I always do. If I'm not using rig, antenna is disconnected & dc power is removed from switched outlets. Also power supply is turned off at master switch which is connected to APC UPS. Spikes from power supply being turned on connected to rig can, on some rigs, zap components inside of rig especially switching power supply. That has happened to a number of Yaesu FT-817.

With all the large scale surface mount devices in modern rigs today I believe I will order a Alpha Delta coax surge protector to help discharge the build up of static electricity from antenna. Just having the shield grounded to ground rod I guess is not enough anymore.

73,
Reed  W4JZ