Re: [TenTec] [Ten Tec] OCF Antennas - Which commercial antenna is gest?

To: tentec@contesting.com, Rick@DJ0IP.de
Subject: Re: [TenTec] [Ten Tec] OCF Antennas - Which commercial antenna is gest?
From: "Barry LaZar" <k3ndm@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2015 23:04:11 +0000
I think there is some historical perspective that is missing in some our discussions. First open wire was used in the early days of radio as there wasn't much else around. You could run a wire from your antenna directly to your transmitter's output, but there were really few other ways to go. Coax came into being somewhere around 1940, and this can be disputed, for the purpose of running a transmission line through a ship's steel bulked. The 50 Ohm number came about because that is what resulted from the material at hand, or you can supply another story.

The Windom was invented to be able to use a single antenna on multiple bands. The original design shows that it was fed by a single wire to a point 1/3 down the length of the antenna, and it was mandatory to ground the radio. All of what we today call Windoms or OCFDs are based on Windom's design. None of any of these antennas were touted to be 50 Ohms. They were sold to be workable with your transmitter if you have a tuner, and hopefully a good one with reasonable loss. One commercial version sold by Radio Works is the Carolina Windom which is a design that a bunch of hams in the Carolinas came up with based on Windom's designs. From my inference, what they were trying to do was to overcome the issue of having a horizontal antenna electrically low to the ground and still get low angle coverage. It sort of does that, and I said in an earlier post I bought into that argument; I'm not sorry as I was finally able to obtain a DXCC after 50 years on the air. The Windom is not a compromise antenna unless you consider trying to use one antenna for all bands a compromise. I make NO consideration for SWR.

I am very cavalier about SWR as a means of determining an antenna's operation, except in the extreme. A 5:1 SWR doesn't bother me much. I only care how much I give up in transmission line losses to that number. On 80-~20 it's not enough to excite me, but on 10, I get a little careful. Unless you have a really long run the RG-8 type low loss cables make the discussion more academic than worrisome, and I mean like the Belden 9913, Times Wire LMR-400, or equal. I do not equate antenna resonance with an SWR of 1:1, either. There are only a few times an antenna is resonant and it reflects 50 Ohms.

If you have the room and can put up only one antenna, a dipole for the lowest operating frequency is good. Just, get it as high as you can, on both ends. Anything else you do is containing the SWR variations over the bands such that you can deal with it. If you do go with a center fed antenna, open wire is really good as it has the least loss of any other feed line. However, you will need a balun, a good current balun, as today's radios want to be connected to coax cable.

73,
Barry
K3NDM